Thinking about this question reminded me of a problem I thought of some time back.
I love playing the Resistance (particularly with the plot cards), but I always find the eyes closed, open, closed, open business slightly awkward. This is particularly the case if there is someone in the group that I don't know very well, or who hasn't played before.
For anyone unfamiliar with the game, the setup is as follows:
- Everyone watches while a deck of role cards is created with x good and y bad cards where x+y is the number of players (the exact values of x and y are given in the rules, but it's not relevant for the question).
- All players are dealt a role card telling them whether they are good or bad.
- All players close their eyes.
- All bad guys open their eyes and look at each other.
- All bad guys close their eyes.
- All players open their eyes.
The result is:
- Everyone knows how many bad guys there are.
- The bad guys know who each other are.
- The good guys have equal suspicion of all other players.
Is there a neat* way to initialise the game without players having to close their eyes?
* In particular a way that doesn't require a computer or a moderator.