Perplexing Chimera is a new card in Born of the Gods. It reads as follows
Enchantment Creature - Chimera
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may exchange control of Perplexing Chimera and that spell. If you do, you may choose new targets for the spell. (If the spell becomes a permanent, you control that permanent.)
As I understand it, the following can happen if I have a Chimera on the battlefield:
- My opponent casts some spell (say Shock), and it goes on the stack.
- The Chimera's ability triggers. It is put on the stack.
- My opponent really wants his Shock to resolve, so in response he casts Lightning Strike on my Chimera to kill it before its ability resolves. This is put on the stack.
- The Chimera's (which is still under my control) ability triggers again. It is put on the stack.
At this point, nothing else happens and we start resolving the stack.
- The Chimera's ability resolves. I choose to perform the swap. I choose my opponent as the target of the Lightning Strike. My opponent gets control of the Chimera.
- Lightning Strike resolves. My opponent takes 3 damage
What happens next? Does the ability on the stack fail to resolve? Who (if anyone) gets to choose to use the Chimera's ability on the stack?