Board & Card Games Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who like playing board games, designing board games or modifying the rules of existing board games. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I attack with a Vector Asp and use his activated ability to give him infect until the end of the turn. It's blocked by a 2/2 creature and goes to the graveyard.

If I cast Corpse Cur next, can I return Vector Asp to my hand from the graveyard?

On the one hand, the Vector Asp did have infect until the end of the turn. On the other, he may have lost that by going to the graveyard. Which is it?

share|improve this question

Corpse Cur says "return target creature card with infect." Although Vector Asp had infect when it went to the graveyard, the creature card Vector Asp in the 'yard doesn't have it. Not a valid target.

share|improve this answer
up vote 10 down vote accepted

I found the answer in the comprehensive rules:

400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence.

So once the Vector Asp goes to my graveyard, it has no memory of the infect I gave it with its activated ability. So, I can't use the Corpse Cur to get it back.

share|improve this answer
I realize this is a very old answer, but it's worth noting that the above answer includes something very important that this one does not. There is a very important distinction between a "creature" and a "creature card." A "creature" is a permanent on the battlefield; that is what had infect. Corpse Cur can only target a "creature card with infect", and the Vector Asp card doesn't have infect, whether or not it could represent a creature that does. – GendoIkari Oct 9 '13 at 3:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.