A couple nights ago while playing Coup for the first time. During one of our games we came across the situation of someone challenging an Ambassador Exchange action. Given that both the Ambassador's Exchange and the challenge are going to require the swapping of active influence cards, what is the proper sequence to change them in?
The following sequence is what we ended up using.
- Claim to be an Ambassador and state intent to perform an exchange.
- Leave current influence cards face down on the table.
- Draw two (or one if only one influence left) new cards from the court deck.
- At this point the challenge was issued.
- The player then revealed their Ambassador card to the table.
- The Ambassador card was then reshuffled back into the court deck and a replacement was taken.
- The player then continued on with the Exchange and could swap with either his existing influence card and the newly drawn card which replaced his Ambassador.
This seemed like the most sensible way of doing it. However the rules themselves didn't explicitly define this situation.