Consider a scenario:
- Round 1: I play spirit ghouls and dispatch them somewhere on the map.
- Round 2: I make ghouls in decline.
- Round 3: I choose the other race (X) and play them according to the rules.
- Round 4: I make the race X in decline.
- Round 5: I choose another race (Y) and play them.
- I can play ghouls actively while they are in decline
- I can have two races in decline thanks to spirit property
- My spirit race are ghouls making them undead, as I always kill the other race in decline
- None of my races (either X or Y) are stout
What happens during the round 2? Can I play my ghouls actively when I'm making them in decline? As the rules say that I can do either one or the other I expect the answer would be negative.
What happens if during the round 2 one of my opponent would successfully attack the group of 4 ghouls occupying one of regions, killing one of them and making 3 others coming back to my pool of active troops? Can I dispatch them during the round 3?
The most interesting one: considering my ghouls are spirit and they just won't die, can I play them actively during the round 4? The situation is a bit different than in a question 1 as the rules say that I should play my ghouls before playing the active race so technically I could play them even if during the round 4 I would be wiping them out of the map, while making the race X in decline. However, in this case I won't as because they are spirit they would prevail, which makes the case even more complex.