I am playing against an Imperial Guard player at 1500 pts. He has ~ 7 lascannon squads + an assault cannon squad. He just sits there and shoots at me while I try to advance.
I have since switched away from anything coming from reserve since my army would be eaten piece by piece. Instead I am going for a lot of troops:
- 3x Rhino (with Storm bolter) + 10-man Tactical squad (heavy bolter, flamer), sergeant has storm bolter
- 5-man Scout squad (all with combat blades)
- 10-man Assault squad
- 5-man Devastator Squad (3 lascannon, 1 heavy bolter)
- Librarian in Terminator Armour (Avenger, Force Dome) + 5 Shooting Terminators
- Dreadnought with Multi-melta
- Dreadnought with Assault Cannon
Since most Imperial Guard troops have 5+ armour, any hit I make with the storm bolter or heavy bolter means death. Since each Rhino has a sergeant and a flamer guy, I can move 6" and still fire 4 shots (+template if I survive long enough). Is this a viable tactic to help my main force get into close combat action?