I'm prototyping a game, but I'm not very schooled on board games. I'm looking for a list of game mechanics so that I can
- Describe my game in terms of mechanics
- Find other uses of the mechanics to learn from
- Pick and choose what mechanics I want to have in my game.
(If there are any books about this sort of thing it would be freaking awesome!)
This is similar to some other questions, but with some differences:
- What set of attributes can be used to describe, compare and contrast various board games? - but I need only the mechanics, not whether it is easy to carry etc.
- Board Game Mechanics - nice question, but the answers with examples of games people likes, are not very helpful (I don't have access to the games or the time to understand them all).