Can I buy a Farmland, trashing a card from my hand and gaining one costing up to 2 more, but then reveal Trader, and gain a Silver instead of the Farmland?
I always think of the "buy" operation as containing a "gain" operation, so any cards that trigger on gain also trigger on buy, but not vice-versa. However, when does the "gain" reaction actually occur? Is it after you have already resolved the "buy" reactions or operations?
A follow-up question is this: because I converted the Farmland to a Silver, can I still put my Treasury cards back on my deck at the end of this turn?
I predict that the "correct" answer is going to look like the following algorithm, but I'm not 100% on this, hence my question here:
- You "buy" a Farmland.
- That triggers any "buy" reactions or actions on the card, using Farmland, (e.g. you can trash a Gold from your hand and gain a Province)
- Add Farmland to the set of cards you "bought this turn".
- You then "gain" the Farmland.
- You reveal Trader, and gain a Silver instead.
- That triggers any "gain" reactions, using Silver (e.g. Watchtower, to put the Silver on deck)
- (Note, this does not trigger any gain reactions using the Farmland, e.g. imagine a new reaction card like Fool's Gold, except it triggers whenever anyone gains a victory card)
- Add Silver to the set of cards you "gained this turn".
- On cleanup, you cannot put your Treasury on deck, because the "cards bought this turn" includes a Farmland, which is indeed a victory card.
- The next player will be able gain Silver via Smugglers because the "cards you gained last turn" includes a Silver, but it does not include a Farmland, so they will not be able to gain a Farmland via Smugglers.