Board & Card Games Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who like playing board games, designing board games or modifying the rules of existing board games. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm a chess beginner, and I was wondering: why was this movement introduced to chess, and why is it important to the game?

share|improve this question
@down voter, please justify your vote. On private beta is very very important to know why a question isn't good. – bigown Oct 19 '10 at 22:43
He might be referring to the fact that the piece isn't called the Castle, it's called the rook (regardless of whether Ron Weasley called it that, it's not correct) – McKay Oct 20 '10 at 17:15
@McKay: In that case he should learn to post a comment about the problem or edit when he have enough rep to do. Down vote is to bad question. – bigown Oct 20 '10 at 17:26
I concur. – McKay Oct 20 '10 at 17:33
The question is somewhat general-reference; a Google search for "swap king and rook" brings up the Wikipedia article on "Castling" as the first result, which would tell bigown all he'd need to know about the move and more. Stack Exchange is not supposed to be a substitution for Google; in fact the point is to supplement Google search results for similar queries to the questions asked. – KeithS Oct 22 '14 at 14:59
up vote 25 down vote accepted

It's called castling. It's important because it gets your king out of danger (the centre is not safe), while simultaneously moving your 'tower' (also called a Castle, or a Rook) into the centre, where it is much more useful.

See this related question: Is castling still done in the openings in modern chess?

share|improve this answer
I'm certainly not a chess expert, but I think that "Castle" nowadays refers exclusively to the move, not the piece. – Andrew Vandever Jan 12 '11 at 2:53
@Andrew Vandever - you're certainly right that it's an outdated name, but it's still common to hear it used informally. See e.g. – ire_and_curses Jan 12 '11 at 23:20
@andrew in english maybe. In other languages it's still roughly the name. In Dutch and German for example the piece is called (translated to English) the "Tower". – jwenting Apr 18 '11 at 8:44

This is called "castling". The Wikipedia article has information about the origins of the move.

The move is important to build a fortress for your king, and to free the rook for attacking the enemy king.

share|improve this answer

The name of the move is castling.

The history of the move is explained well on the wikipedia page.

share|improve this answer

The main advantage is that you move 2 at the same time. It's important to note that the 2 castlings are not the same. The long one is more aggressive and if you do it right, you get your rook in line with your queen.

Traditionally, taking the center should be an objective. Castling enables this.

I don't consider myself a strong player, but in my experience, Castling is best used for positioning rather as a defense for your King. Remember, you need to have the Initiative...

share|improve this answer

The main purpose of castling is to "develop" the king, not the rook. The king is easier to defend towards the end squares but can be in danger anywhere.

However around the e-file the king also gets in the way of the other pieces, in particular blocking the rook in. Thus the castling move "swaps" the positions of the king and rook simultaneously.

The normal sequence of opening moves is to first get minor pieces out and a few pawns, castle, get the queen out and that leaves the two rooks alone in the back-rank aside from the king near the end where they can move around freely between the files.

In highly "attacking" chess games, the two players may castle on opposite sides, i.e. one does the king-side and the other the queen-side. You then launch an attack on the side where the other play has his king by moving the pawns forward. However you also need to defend your own side from the opponents attack.

Such games often suit white better. I therefore once had a rule that if I was black I would wait for my opponent to castle first. I'm not sure about the general validity of that rule, but something to consider.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.