No Cinnabar Island 20 point trigger! You need the following Points worth of Pokemon to fight each gym leader:
- 5 (Pewter City) The leader has 1 random pink pokemon + 1 addition D6
- 10 (Cerulean City) The leader has 1 random green pokemon + 1 additional D6
- 15 (Vermilion City) The leader has 1 random blue pokemon + 1 additional D6
- 20 (Celadon City) The leader has 1 random red pokemon + 1 additional D6
- 25 (Fuchsia City) The leader has 1 random pink pokemon + 2 additional D6
- 30 (Saffron City) The leader has 1 random green pokemon + 2 additional D6
- 35 (Cinnabar Island) The leader has 1 random blue pokemon + 2 additional D6
- 40 (Viridian City) The leader has 1 random red pokemon + 2 additional D6
To fight a leader, land in that town and pull the specified color Pokemon from the box. You battle as normal with the attack cards and such. The leader, who may be rolled by an opponent (selected the same way you select the final rival), rolls 1 D6 plus the specified number of additional D6s. If you win, you get that city's gym badge. If you lose, your Pokemon is knocked out and the opponent who rolled for the leader draws two items. Either way, return the leader's Pokemon to the box. Run out of Pokemon of the correct color? Use the color above and one less D6, else a color below and one more D6. For more flavor, you can try to make sure each leader has a Pokemon of the appropriate type.
You need the eight badges from defeating the leaders to go to the Indigo Plateau. Before you begin put Gengar, Haunter, and Gastly in Lavender town. If you land there, roll to catch Gastly. Land there again: Haunter, then Gengar. Everyone gets to reference a chart that lists the pokemon in order by attack power and shows what color area you can find them.
In addition, you could add the ability to battle wild Pokemon instead of capturing them. Defeat the wild Pokemon and it goes back in the box and of course is replaced by a face down of the appropriate color.