Can Trait Doctoring be used to change a Circle of Protection (whatever color) into protection from mono or multicolor? Trait Doctoring reads

Change the text of target permanent by replacing all instances of one color word with another or one basic land type with another until end of turn.

Cipher (Then you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.)

Do monocolor and multicolor count as "color words"? I sort of assumed so but I'm not really sure.

  • related: boardgames.stackexchange.com/q/12927/3128 – Colin D Jan 9 '14 at 18:55
  • 3
    I've never heard of the color "multicolor". It's definitely not one of the 5 in MTG! – ikegami Jan 9 '14 at 19:12
  • 4
    Note that Trait Doctoring + Circle of Protection is effectively a nonbo: the overwhelming majority of damage coming your way doesn't happen on your own turn. That's a lot of work just to make a really lousy Personal Sanctuary. If you really want to play customize-your-own-CoP, use a card like Alter Reality or Glamerdye. – Alex P Jan 9 '14 at 19:26
  • But why would you need multicolor anyway? You can just say part of the multicolor you would like to block. – Lyrion Jan 10 '14 at 8:13

No, it cannot.

As per the ruling on the card:

The type-changing effect can change part of a word such as “nonblack” or “swampwalk” if the part of the word is being used to refer to a color or basic land type.

Referring to color in general does not refer to a color.

As per the comp rules:

105.1. There are five colors in the Magic game: white, blue, black, red, and green.

105.4. If a player is asked to choose a color, he or she must choose one of the five colors. "Multicolored" is not a color. Neither is "colorless."

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.