Colour identity is not only the colours in the casting cost, but any mana symbols that appear in the rules text (but not the reminder text!). Are there any legendary creatures that have a different colour identity to their card colour?
While most cards color identity is in the casting cost, there are many cards that have an identity that does not match their colors. This is true for legendary creatures too and there are many commanders with identities outside the card color. The most common reason is the card has an ability with different colored mana costs, some of the more common ones:
- Jodah, Archmage Eternal - Jodah is red, white and blue by mana cost but has an ability that costs making him all 5 colors for identity.
- Morophon, the Boundless is colorless as a creature, but the cost reduction effect "Spells of the chosen type you cast cost less to cast" make it all 5 colors in identity.
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - is another colorless creature with an ability costing making it a 5 color identity commander.
- General Tazri - a mono white creature that has an ability costing for a 5 color identity.
- Tazri, Beacon of Unity - similar to the older Tazri, she is a white creature with an ability costing , making her identity white because of her cost and all 4 other colors because of her ability.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, Daghatar the Adamant, Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest, Tasigur, the Golden Fang, and Yasova Dragonclaw were a cycle of mono color creatures from Fate Reforged with abilities that cost at least 2 hybrid mana of the other colors in their Khanate, making their color identity 3 colors.
A less common reason is double faced cards, the color of the back face is part of the identity of the commander:
- Archangel Avacyn is a white creature, but the back face is red, making her color identity white and red.
- Esika, God of the Tree is a green creature, but the casting cost of the back side of the modal double faced card, The Prismatic Bridge, makes the commander have a 5 color identity.
- Jorn, God of Winter is a green creature, but the casting cost of the back side of the modal double faced card, Kaldring, the Rimestaff, makes the commander color identity green, blue and black.
- Valki, God of Lies is a red creature, but the casting cost of the back side of the modal double faced card, Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor adds black to the color identity.