I am trying to play Ticket to Ride for the iOS on the iPad (regular full version, not pocket) with friends over the internet (not local wifi). I tried using Game Center to issue a 'challenge', but it doesn't seem to work. I always end up in a room with random players when I use the 'local' play feature. Does anyone know if this type of multiplayer game is possible with the iOS TTR?
It is possible to play with specific friends in real-time, though it may not be possible to play asynchronously. (Last time I tried, the game aborted if either my opponent or I left the TTR app, so it was real-time play only. That was a while ago though.)
Here's how to set it up.
- On the main TTR screen (with Gerry the Conductor holding the ticket labeled Play!), click the "More..." gear.
- On the next screen, click Online Games. This should automatically log you in to the online servers.
- In the spiral notebook at the center of the screen, click either the Game Center tab (for your GC friends) or Buddies (friends you've marked in some version of online TTR - web or mobile).
- Tap the name of one friend you want to play with. This will fly out a screen where you can choose the map and whether the game is ranked or not. Make your choices and hit the green Play button
- A standard Game Center Multiplayer Game window will appear. It will default to a 4-player game, with you, the friend you selected, and 2 auto-match slots. You can delete slots (though in trying I had to remove my friend first and then could delete the auto-match slots) or add specific friends with the Invite Friend button. If you add, you'll be prompted for the message to send them. If they accept, the game will start.