I recently bought the Settlers of Catan Card Game, played two partial games, and was very disappointed because of the seemingly huge importance of luck. Just about every action is based on chance:
- resources are distributed based on dice rolls
- land tiles are drawn randomly, except if you were lucky enough to pull the magic card allowing you to actually choose the land tiles
- hand cards are randomly drawn, except if you are lucky enough to own some resources you can spare. However, even then you still need some luck in choosing the best card stack.
- some action cards need some more dicing
- when I played, the "mill" event was thrown over and over again by my opponent, so I never had any resources to advance my kingdom
I particularly hate investing effort to plan ahead, just to see my strategy crushed under bad dice rolls. I am seriously considering throwing away the game after having played it only twice. However, I bought this game because it received a lot of good internet reviews, even from reviewers I trust. Therefore I ask myself: is there really some strategy involved in this game, or do you just need a large amount of luck to win?