Basically the title. A situation where this would matter. If I have a House of Knives scored and my opponent runs into Kominu with no breaker can I use the House of Knives ability after he loses all his cards but before he has a chance to jack out?
Short answer, yes there is a window at 4.1 (before the runner decides to jack out after passing the last piece of ICE), or at 4.3 if the runner decides to continue. If Komainu has another piece of ICE behind it, 2.1 also provides an opportunity for House of Knives to strike before the runner jacks out.
The run timing chart:
- Runner starts, names server. If there's ICE, goto 2. If no ice, goto 4.
- Approach outermost ICE.
- 2.1. Paid ability can be used (can be used if there is another ICE behind Komainu, and also kicks in before runner has a chance to jack out)
- 2.2. Jack out (Goto 6, cannot jack out if first piece of ICE encountered this run) or continue to 2.3.
- 2.3. Approached ICE can be rezzed, Paid ability can be used cards can be rezzed.
- 2.4. Check if ICE is rezzed. If rezzed, goto 3. If unrezzed, and there's another piece of ICE, goto 2. If unrezzed, and there's no more ICE, go to 4.
- Runner Encounters Ice if rezzed.
- 3.1. Icebreakers can interact, Paid abilities can be used
- 3.2. Resolve all unbroken subroutines ...Either the run ends, goto 6 Or it continues, and there's another piece of ICE, goto 2. Or it continues, and there's no more ICE, go to 4.
- Runner approaches attacked server
- 4.1. Paid abilities can be used.
- 4.2. Runner decides: To jack out, go to 6 or to continue, go to 4.3
- 4.3. Paid abilities may be used, cards may be rezzed.
- 4.4. Run is successful. Trigger abilities if any. 4.5. Access cards. Trigger abilities if any. Agenda : Stolen (Unless additional cost) Trash cost present : may be paid to trash Everything not trashed or stolen is returned to server.
- Run ends. Trigger abilities if any.
- Run is unsuccessful. Trigger abilities if any.