We just tried a variant of this last night, having six players and wanting to use two boards (Europe & North America). This seemed to work, but probably needs some tweaking:
- 3 teams of 2. Each team gets two bags of one colour of train.
- Each player gets a turn. Arrange the players so that team-members are separated.
- 2 short* Europe tickets for each player, 2 short NA tickets for each player
- 1 long** Europe ticket for each team, 1 long NA ticket for each team
- Teammates can discuss strategy, but must do so openly, giving the other teams a chance to block them. No whispering or notes or codes! Don't share personal tickets, only team tickets.
- All points are for a team, not an individual.
* Short is under 17 points
** Is over 17 points
- Start play in the 'old world' board, but have the 'new world' set up.
- Each team must complete their 'long' contract in EU to start building in NA. So achieving your long ticket 'unlocks' the new board.
- You can still build on either board. The NA deck now comes in to play, only for those teams who have unlocked NA.
- Once you have achieved 100 points on the EU board, switch your point-maker over to the NA board to continue counting.
- You can on only draw from the NA deck once you have unlocked NA
- You can draw face-up from only one of the two decks (EU and NA)
- You can draw face-down from one or both. So you could draw one face-down EU ticket and one face-down NA ticket.
- You can spend either cards in either continent
This was a lot of fun and there was a lot of anticipation for the new board, and a reward for those who got there early. We will probably try adjusting the tickets.