In Japanese mahjong generally the longest game most people play is a hanchan (半荘), where the han part (半) implies that it's "half" of something, presumably a full four-wind game with 16 hands.

But is there a name for a four-wind game in Japanese? I can't find a reference for it anywhere if it does.

1 Answer 1


According to WWWJDIC, the word is イーチャン, or 一荘 in kanji - read as iichan (although it's unusualy in that it appears to be written in katakana, which I'm guessing could mean that it's a fairly new loanword from Chinese?). There's a JMdictDB entry on it here.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .