I'm aware that one cannot move a Joker tile out of a meld except by replacing the Joker with the number it represents. However, I'm confused about one situation which I haven't found rules to clarify:
What happens if I move every other number in the Joker's meld, leaving the Joker on its own?
- Am I allowed to do this, or must I somehow preserve its meld?
- What happens to the Joker's value? (Does it remain exactly what it was before, or can I pick a new value?)
- Where can it go now? (Can I move it to another meld that's already on the table? Can I create a new meld around it using tiles from my hand?)
Just to make it clear how this can happen. Both scenarios only involve moving the tiles surrounding the Joker, never the Joker itself (or at least that's the way I see it).
- There is a run of blue 1234, and a run of blue J567. I move the 567 to the other run, making a run of 1234567. The Joker is now all on its own.
- There's a run of 1234 in each colour, except blue which has 123J. I take the 1's, 2's and 3's away and make four-colour sets for each of those numbers. I make a three-colour set out of the red, yellow and black 4's. The Joker is now all on its own.
Or the same scenarios, pictorially:
- Board goes from 1234 / J567 → 1234567 / J
- Board goes from 1234 / 1234 / 1234 / 123J → 1111 / 2222 / 3333 / 444 / J