What is this kind of card shuffling called?

Its a grid of cards where you take 1 card at a time to create a grid of say 2 wide and 2 tall, (although it could be any number wide/tall)

ASCII Drawing;

[[Deck]] -> Add one card to create 4 stacks and repeat the process over & over.

[Card] [Card]
[Card] [Card]

As you take cards you add it to a random stack thus creating (in the above example) 4 stacks (or decks) of cards

What is this shuffle called?

  • 1
    I've always called it pile shuffling, but I don't know if that is its real name. – Becuzz Mar 24 '15 at 18:41
  • As noted by official Magic The Gathering tournament rules, this type of shuffling is, simply put: inadequate. – Forget I was ever here Sep 19 '17 at 10:24

This is called random pile shuffling. Wikipedia defines pile shuffling as:

Cards are simply dealt out into a number of piles, then the piles are stacked on top of each other.

Here is a YouTube video demonstrating pile shuffling.


At a Magic: the Gathering tournament, pile shuffling by itself is not a sufficient means of randomization.

Two others popular types of shuffling are (warning, these are video links) mash shuffling and riffle shuffling.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.