My buddies and I have been hooked on Pandemic lately and I just picked up the On-the-Brink expansion for Pandemic.
I was reading the rulebook yesterday and I'm not quite sure if I get the Bio-terrorist (BT) challenge right. So the BT is off the board, and plays mostly on pen-&-paper, and the pawn comes to the board only when BT happens to be in the same city as one of the players (timing of putting the pawn on the board is also interesting, but I'll ask that separately).
According to the rulebook the BT has 2 actions and a move, so the BT can essentially:
- spread disease locally (L)
- spread remotely (R) by discarding
- travel remotely (F) by discarding
- sabotage (S) by discarding
- draw card (D)
I don't quite get the point of secrecy (writing on paper), especially considering that the actions have pretty obvious consequences:
- purple cube gets placed on the board
- BT discards a card and a purple cube is placed on the board
- BT discards a card (destination is the city on the card), BT announces that he was seen at an airport.
- BT discards a card, a station is removed from the board
- BT draws
So unless I misunderstood something, all BT actions are obvious to any alert player. What's the point of secrecy and note-taking?