I'm building a board game that connects pieces together, like a puzzle, but they can be flipped over, so I have found a picture of what I think would be a good connector piece, but I'm not sure what it would be called.


A piece like this would help me connect my double sided pieces together in any configuration. What is this connector piece called?

  • If one side was attached, it would be a sliding dovetail joint. – ikegami Apr 20 '15 at 18:44
  • 1
    Deleted a pedantic back and forth. @users - lets play nice, especially with new people! – Pat Ludwig Apr 21 '15 at 0:54

This question would probably receive a better answer on Woodworking SE.

According to Wikipedia, as well as Canadian Woodworking, this is called a Dovetail key, Dutchman joint, or Butterfly joint. Another common name for it is a Bowtie joint/key. Below is the picture shown on Wikipedia:

enter image description here

Dovetail keys are used to hold together two boards or one board that has begun to split (to prevent further splitting). In this Youtube video, a woodworker further elaborates on its uses and also demonstrates how to make one.

  • Good find! The one caveat is that the woodworking context if I understand right this is a technique meant more for a snug, permanent join, and it implies this specific shape, as opposed to a more generic shape. So since the OP is making a board game with temporary connections and would likely be okay with some variety of shapes, this might not be a perfect analog. Still definitely useful for searching around, though. – Cascabel Apr 20 '15 at 22:52
  • @Jeformi is right, but these has been the most clear in helping me find something to make these with chipboard. – ohmusama Apr 21 '15 at 1:10
  • For future people, 1stopsquare.com/punches/customlist.html, punch 730 makes this shape, but is small – ohmusama Apr 25 '15 at 18:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.