Mimic Vat has two abilities. The one I am concerned with is:
Imprint — Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.
- Ezuri dies
- Mimic Vat triggers and resolves
- Anthony chooses to Exile Ezuri
- Anthony replaces the event, "exile that card", by sending Ezuri to the Command zone
We are not done following Mimic Vat's instructions.
If you do, return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.
This is where I get confused. I see two possible interpretations of "If you do":
- "If you [exile that card], ..."
- "If you [choose to exile that card], ..."
Which interpretation is correct? Have we satisfied the condition? Does Llanowar Elves end up in its owner's graveyard, or does it remain in exile?