Is there a particular name for categorizing board games that have some kinetics? Some of the examples are Fireball Island (monster throwing fireballs), Monopoly Jackpot (push button spinner) etc.

  • 2
    Almost all games involve moving something around, which we could call "kinetics". Where are you drawing the line between those examples and games that involve rolling dice or moving pieces? – doppelgreener Dec 12 '16 at 22:26
  • 3
    I think OP is referring to games in which fine motor skills are purposefully required as an integral part of game play, for example, striking objects by flicking components toward them (Flick 'em Up!). These would be called Dexterity games. However, Monopoly Jackpot, I would posit, isn't a Dexterity game, but rather just includes a spinner as a game component. I don't believe there's a catch-all term that combines the concept of a true Dexterity game and spinners. – Manath Dec 12 '16 at 23:16
  • 1
    @Manath This certainly answers my question. Thank you so much!! – Akanksha Vishwakarma Dec 12 '16 at 23:57
  • @Manath Right, it's not a dexterity game because you're just meant to give the spinner a shove. – doppelgreener Dec 13 '16 at 0:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.