The update pack serves two purposes:
- Replace 6 old cards with 7 newer ones
- Provide a new card strip; base cards are missing from the new strip.
Replacing older cards
The following 12 cards have been removed from their respective versions:
- Base game (6): Adventurer, Chancellor, Feast, Thief, Spy, Woodcutter
- Intrigue (6): Coppersmith, Great Hall, Saboteur, Scout, Secret Chamber, Tribute
You should not use these cards anymore. Naturally, it's your game so you are free to do whatever you feel best, add these together with the rest or not. If you do, however, there might not be enough space in the box to store them, if you keep the base cards in the same box as well. They are not "broken" or "overpowered", just very weak. Usually these cards were skipped, that's why they were removed. Dominion creator Donald X. has explained why each card was removed.
Should you take them out, remember to remove their respective randomizer (blue-back) cards as well.
New card strip
Naturally, since 6 kingdom cards have been replaced with 7 new kingdom cards, a new insert has been provided. Therefore, you will not see removed cards listed, such as Secret Chamber. You will see the new cards, though, such as Diplomat.
- Other cards: you should be able to find all other non-replaced cards on the card strip, such as Wishing Well.
- Base cards: base cards, such as Curse, Copper, Gold and Province, have been deliberately omitted from the new card strip. This is because the newer Dominion: Intrigue (second version) is no longer a stand-alone expansion of Dominion, thus you need the base cards to play it. This means that the whole expansion is not shipped with the base cards, thus they have been omitted from the card strip. Nevertheless, the actual insert should have enough space for you to store them (give or take one slot, as there are 26 kingdom cards now).
- Empty strips: you can use them to hold extra cards, such as the base cards or the removed cards.