There was an interesting board state that came up the other night while my friends were playing Commander, involving a sliver deck and Padeem, Consul of Innovation. The board state involved two players, who I will call Aaron (Active player) and Nick (Non-Active player), a simplified version of the board was as follows:
- Brood Sliver (Whenever a Sliver deals combat damage to a player, its controller may create a 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token)
- Harmonic Sliver (All Slivers have "When this permanent enters the battlefield, destroy target artifact or enchantment.")
- Silverback Ape (it's a 5/5, that's it.)
During combat Aaron attacked Nick with his entire board, and Nick assigned blocks as follows:
- Harmonic Sliver is blocked by Ornithopter (No effects)
- Silverback Ape is blocked by Padeem (Padeem dies)
- Brood Sliver is unblocked (Brood Sliver's ability triggers)
My question is, when the 1/1 Sliver token created by Brood Sliver enters the battlefield, will Aaron be able to destroy Nick's Ornithopter? Or will the Ornithopter still have hexproof, even though Padeem is killed by Silverback Ape?
That is to say, do Nick's artifacts lose hexproof before or after Aaron is able to target them with the ETB of the created Sliver token?