We play once a week with the same gaming group, each night a different game. I thought about creating "season" records, such that every ~3 months we will announce the season's champion. The prize will be the right to choose the next game that we will buy together. This is basically a tournament starching over several months.
How to build such a tournament?
- How to aggregate the results of several games?
- Should the scores be (4,3,2,1) for first, second, third, forth respectably ?
- How to factor in games' weight (some are 4 hours long and some are half an hour fillers)?
- Will this season record make the playing experience better? I am concerned about the case where some players are out of the race before we are close to the end of the season
- Players will be harsh on the season leader even if he is doing bad in the current game. Overall do you think that this metagame improves the playing experience?
EDIT: We play mostly medium games like: Great Western Trail, Food Chain Magnate, Blood Rage, Azul, Eclipse, Clans of Caledonia, Mombasa, The Gallerist, and our favorite is Nations: Dynasties
most nights we are the same people, some nights another friend joins.