I have a question about a Yu-Gi-Oh card that I have been thinking a bit about: Difōmā Raiton or in English Morphtronic Lantron.
In the anime, it appears in 5D's in the second season (episodes 142-143) as a Deus Ex Machina and reads the following effect:
● While in Attack Position: Any effect damage you would take from an opponent's card effect is inflicted to your opponent instead. ● While in Defense Position: When your Life Points become 0 while this card is face-up on the field, toss a coin and call it. If you call it right, gain 100 Life Points. Each player can only use the effect of "Morphtronic Lantron" once per Duel.
Its Defense Position effect was used in the anime.
This card was printed in the TCG in Extreme Victory, alongside a lot of late-second season cards. Its effect reads:
● While in Attack Position: Any effect damage you would take from an opponent's card effect is inflicted to your opponent instead. ● While in Defense Position: When this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you take no Battle Damage this turn.
You can see that the Attack Position effect is the same, but not the Defense Position.
I am curious about why this effect was changed. Here were a few clues I had:
- Card too overpowered alone Maybe this would have been too overpowered alone. I don't think so compared to the meta at that time, in my opinion
- Card is too strong in combo with another card Maybe there is a combo with another card that is way too strong. I didn't manage to find a good combo for that
- Rulings problem with the card I believe this is the most likely case. I think there might be some shenanigans with the fact that you drop to zero Life Points; but I didn't find something clear enough in the Rulings.
- Rulings problem in a combo I didn't find a combo that fits this.
Could someone please provide an explanation?