Does Bloodthirsty Aerialist's ability trigger before damage because of Blood Burglar's Lifelink? As in does Bloodthirsty Aerialist get a +1/+1 counter on it before the damage is done against the blocker?
The scenario unfolds as follows:
- You declare bloodthirsty Aerialist and Blood Burglar as attackers.
- Your opponent declares blockers for these creatures.
- All damage is dealt. At the same time, Blood Burglar's lifelink causes you to gain 2 life.
- Bloodthirsty Aerialist's ability is triggered and goes on the stack (but doesn't resolve yet).
- State based actions are checked. If either of these creatures have enough damage on them to die, they are put into the graveyard.
- Bloodthirsty Aerialist's ability resolves (assuming players pass priority). If Bloodthirsty Aerialist is not on the battlefield, the ability does nothing. If the creature is on the battlefield, it gets a single +1/+1 counter.
Bloodthirsty Aerialist will only deal 2 damage to the creature that blocks it, and if it is dealt three damage, the +1/+1 counter won't be placed on it in time to save it from dying.
In Short The Bloodthirsty Aerialist would not get any +1/+1 counters until after the damage resolved just like Aetherfox stated above.
Longer Description You won't gain any life until all damage is dealt and then you would gain life due to the lifelink ability. After that resolves then the Aerialist's ability would trigger (Due to the lifelink gaining you life.) and be put on the stack, but if the Aerialist is dead it can't gain any +1/+1 counters (It would be dealt damage before the ability activated.)