In chess, the knight moves in an 'L' shape. I have not found any additional name for this. Does this movement have a name other than 'L' shaped?

  • 4
    Although this is on topic here; you might have better luck with a question like this over at chess.stackexchange.com.
    – GendoIkari
    Oct 9 '19 at 21:53

The move a Knight makes is typically called either a "Knight's move", or "L-Shaped".

There aren't really any more common names than those, as the Knight and it's move are both relatively unique, and predate western chess; being one of two pieces that were directly imported from Chaturanga (the other is the Rook) in their current form.

You will occasionally find referrences to the move as a "Knight's Leap" or "Knight's Jump", but those usages are uncommon.


We call it "dhai chaal" (in hindi) or 2.5 steps (in english) in India.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.