Sometimes, I'm sitting in a bar, hanging out with a friend or three, and we run out of things to talk about. I think "this would be a great time to play a game, but I don't have one on me." My local pub has a collection of games in the corner, but they consist of about half a chess set, half a scrabble set with a beat up board, and two thirds of a nice backgammon set.
What games are good for playing in a bar?
Some criteria that can help determine if a game will be appropriate:
- Not too many fiddly little components to get lost; or easily replaceable components if they do
- Somewhat resilient to spilled beer
- Everything is easy to see, as bars can sometimes be a bit dark
- Not too complex; after a couple of beers, remembering a lot of rules can be hard
- Easily portable, and fits on a small table, or the space between two people at the bar itself
Also, please let me know if you actually have played this game in a bar, and how it went. Some games might seem good for the venue, but turn out not to be.
(note: despite the beer-and-pretzels tag, I'm not interested in solely beer and pretzels games, though those are welcome; games that are a bit deeper can be fine for bars too)
beer-and-pretzelstag adds here. What other questions would have this tag?